Because we are a charitable purpose organization but don't file as a 501(c)(3), and therefore are not required to file IRS Form 990, we sometimes get asked to provide more information about what we do, how we do it, and the results we are getting.
For 2021, we provided 95,798 pounds of food to rescue shelters both directly and in a non-profit partnership with Greater Good Rescue Bank. As of July 31, 2022 total donations have been 217,841 pounds of food.
As for our current "big picture" information:
- Executive Salaries: $0 - all volunteer
- Administrative Overhead: For 2022 our target is 5%
- Doing the right thing is important to us. Our compliance model was developed to satisfy the most restrictive and consumer-friendly state laws related to charitable giving (California and New York).
- Our charitable distributions are under what is known as a “Commercial Co-Venture Agreement,” which is a way we ensure our giving is legally compliant. It’s an agreement signed between us and 501(c)(3) organizations, signed by the Trustees, under which we meet specific reporting and accounting requirements. We send donations to those organizations, who distribute funds to shelters.
- In 2022, we partnered with Greater Good, a 501(c)(3) charity to administer giving to shelters. You can see us listed on their partner page here.
- Financial Independence: Financials are kept by a third-party, outside firm
- We have undertaken a full review of our operations and public statements by counsel to ensure that our public statements have adequate disclosure for the FTC and individual states.
- Regarding the privacy of information, we do collect information (such as email addresses) in order to communicate with people who may like to sponsor. However we have never sold, rented, or otherwise disclosed any of this information to any third party.
- We do have a monthly Membership. As of 2022, each monthly membership sponsors ten pounds of food for rescue shelters each month, along with other advocacy efforts as budget permits (e.g., our TNR campaigns). Those Membership donations are administered under our Commercial Co-Venture Agreements.
- We are fortunate to have a corporate sponsor which provides our facilities without cost, and pays for our legal expenses, so we do not need to spend sponsorship dollars on those costs.
We are a growing organization, and a big part of what we do is advocacy for stopping cat euthanasia, and promoting TNR in addition to funding shelters.
To learn more about what we do, and how we do it, please visit our F.A.Q. Page here.